Green Bay's historic Tarlton Theatre was initially designed and constructed c. 1924-1925 as an automobile dealership. By 1941, under the ownership of the Standard Theatres Management Corporation, the building was reimagined by Perry Crosier, an architect known for the Art Deco and Art Moderne theatres he designed throughout the American Midwest. The building was converted to a Streamline Moderne-style, single-screen, first-run cinema and opened on November 14, 1941 as West Theater (pictured, c. 1941).
Despite changing ownership several times throughout the years, West Theater (pictured, c. 1986) remains Green Bay's longest running cinema.
On June 12, 1987, West Theatre became the West Pitcher Show (pictured, c. 1997), a brew-and-view, second-run cinema serving beer and pizza at tables.
Its doors closed on November 25, 2000.
Between 2000-2001, Green Bay’s westside theatre underwent significant renovations for the performing arts including a large stage and a dance floor.
On February 9, 2001, the West opened again as Historic West Theatre (pictured, c. 2002 with owner Mark Mariucci), a first-run cinema showing independent and arthouse film during the week and a dance club on weekends.
Over a decade since a movie last played on its screen, the doors of the historic West Theater reopened on December 15, 2018 as The Tarlton Theatre. Restored as an Art Deco cinema and performing arts venue with bars and a restaurant, The Tarlton has become the downtown home of the Green Bay Film Festival, the Green Bay Jazz Orchestra, and over a dozen area arts and cultural organizations.
As of 2022, Green Bay’s historic westside theatre has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.